Thursday, May 7, 2009

Why Can't Life Always be This Easy...I Get a Call Like You Won the Yeezys.



The second installment of the Nike Air Yeezys dropped this past Saturday, May 2nd, to hype beyond hype beyond hype. The Yeezys have generated the most hysteria for any sneaker in recent memory. Both releases had the skinny jean army bugging. Shuffling like crazy, getting denim burn. Whoa. The first pair, a gray colorway, dropped a month or so ago and I had no clue. It felt great to not be aware of the nonsense. Sometimes ignorance is bliss. The problem is I need to be that ear to the street for my 30 plus married with kids peoples, so it's imperative I grind hard. This kid is slipping.

If by now you're still unsure, yes, these were designed by Kanye West who apparently designed these to be a "doper person."



The game is all fucked up now. First cats started lining up days in advance and now stores are having raffles to prevent the rowdy crowds. I don't blame them. At least order is preserved and every pair is spoken for. Never again, at least for the foreseeable future, will you be able to casually walk into a store and cop a "limited" or "exclusive" sneaker. Not when stores get 18-30 pairs. Shit is ridiculous. I was at Nike Mercer on Thursday around 6pm and people kept rolling in to sign up for the raffle. It closed promptly at 6, so if you were a minute late, you lost. The boat left the dock. You should have seen the disappointment on the faces. Girls trying to use their sex appeal to sway a no to yes but the Nike massive would not waiver. Cold hearted cats. Ice box in the chest status.



On Friday, May 1st, at approximately noon, I got the call. Better than being offered a job. Better than that chick you had that super crush on calling you on a Friday night. I would compare it more to getting a call from the Yankees telling me they were going to draft me in the 16th round and were excited about HowFresh joining their organization. I had been chosen. They were allowing me the opportunity to spend $224.41 on a pair of Air Yeezys. All of those "please, you're welcome and thank yous" finally paid off.



Well, here you go. One of the ugliest sneakers I've ever seen. Kanye, you're crazy for this one. Though not as crazy as the Leweys. Black lycra-type toe box that stretches towards the back around the ankle, light gray suede mud guard, black patent strap, black leather back panels and eye stays with the letter "Y" lasered all over, neon pink lining, ankle straps that have "Yeezy" stitched, a pink lace lock designed in a letter "Y", a glow in the dark outsole and a Jordan 3 midsole. I believe that covers this footwear hybrid. The Jordan 3 outsole is cool. That's about it. The shits are high. Taller than Air Force 1 Highs. More on that Supra hipster bullshit. I'm just not that stylish. I'd like to believe that if I was in high school and around all these terrible trends that I wouldn't succumb to the peer pressure. And if I did, that my parents would beat the balls off of me to teach me a lesson.

Catch me stunting hard in these shits. And I'll be singing...

"50 told me go head switch your style up and if they hate then let them hate and watch the money pile up... the good life."




7 comments:

thekid10705 said...

WAIT WAIT WAIT!!

1st-Great Headline. I seriously turned on Flashing Lights-aka Heine LIGHTS LIGHTS- to read this post!

$225 seems steep but actually cheap on the open market. I'd cop and save them for like a few years down the line to rock. Celebs are playing the fuck outta them right no!

thekid10705 said...

*now

丽英 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
HowFresh said...

Nicky X, you are a celeb. Don't get it twisted.

thekid10705 said...

It is what it is Fresh!! LA better be sending some joints in the mail already!!

Anonymous said...

I always felt that NIKE needed to be more like LA Gear...

dp said...

How you are a winner