Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Good bye Crawfish, Until Next Year. Please Write.



I'm not good at good byes.

With a heavy heart and dampened eyes I say farewell to a friend. They get taken from us so quick. Just when you begin forging that relationship, it's over. Why does it have to be this way? Why?

So crawfish season is over. It's a short season, late February to late June. I had my final serving of the little critters at Mara's Homemade a week and a half ago. The photo above is of the last mudbug eaten. I don't have a name for him, but that doesn't mean he won't be remembered. They were good, but not great. You could tell that the season was coming to an end. Smaller in size and a lot of uncoiled tails- (dead before cooked) meaning a mealy consistency. I still enjoyed them. It's crab season now, but Howfresh doesn't do crabs. For some reason they just don't agree with me.

So I have 8 months to reflect on these juicy little morsels and practice my technique. Twist and peel, twist and peel, twist and peel. One day I'll enter tournaments.

The final bucket:



The remains:



The consolation is that it's white shrimp season. Should soften the blow a bit.

Mara's Homemade
342 East 6th St
Between 1st & 2nd Ave
212-598-1110
www.marashomemade.com
Hours(call to double check): Mon, Wed-Thu 5pm-10:30pm, Fri 5pm-11:30pm, Sat 4pm-11:30pm, Sun 4pm-10:30pm

No comments: