Thursday, February 5, 2009

Back in the Days In the Cookie Jar of Linden...



Fuck all these fancy cookie spots with their $4 cookies. We're in a recession people. If I'm going to continue to cop kicks and fitteds I need to keep other costs at a minimum. That's why I think it's time we show some respect to one of the OGs in the game. Linden's. They were responsible for my lunch from 10th to 12th grades. Buckemdown knows. 2 of the large soft cookies and 2 cartons of chocolate milk everyday. No wonder my teeth are all fucked up. Luckily my metabolism kept it slim back then.



The 3 packs are pretty common and available at the majority of bodegas in NYC. But it's the 2 packs of the Linden's Big Cookies that are hard to come by. No longer do they sell the large 1 pack. Man oh man, those joints were delicious. And they absorbed that chocolate milk so well. Yes, I stay dunking. The 2 pack you see above was purchased at a deli in Jamaica, Queens on Sutphin Boulevard. They are soft, but not as sweet and don't contain the large chocolate chips/chunks like the OG soft joints. You see the distances I have to travel to satiate my Linden's crave? No stone goes unturned.



To clarify, the 3 pack are the Large Chocolate Chip cookies and the 2 pack are the Big Chocolate Chip cookies, as shown directly above. I do not mess with the butter crunch joints. The Linden's site offers oatmeal raisin, peanut butter chocolate chip, and lemon- but I can't recall the last time I saw any of those in person. The 2 packs aren't even available on their site. Is Canal Street bootlegging Linden's? Or the Africans on 28th and Broadway? That's what's up.



Many nights were spent eating a 3 pack or 2 with a 40 oz. of Olde E. I felt the 2 complemented each other very well. Fast forward to 2009 and I still find myself throwing a pack or 2 on the counter with a six of Heiny Lights. No more Time Out Party Mix though- I just can't put that shit in my body anymore. These cookies are addictive. What separates them from other cookies is their saltiness. It's as if they're dipped in a salt solution just before getting thrown in the wrapper. And shit- who doesn't like a little salt/sweet interplay? It really works. I usually prefer a softer chocolate chip cookie, but these are an exception. Even when they crack into smaller pieces after getting thrown around, they're just as good.



The large cookies are 3" in diameter while the big cookies are 3.75" in diameter. If my memory serves me correctly, the one pack large cookie was about 5". The 3 pack offers 1 3/4 oz. of cookie, costing 50 to 75 cents, and the 2 pack totals 2 3/4 oz. and cost me 75 cents.

To really take me back to the Linden glory days I attached a Stretch and Bob WKCR 89 Tec 9 show from late 1993. Eating cookies and talking shit. The essence. I suggest you do the same with a co-worker or friend. I'm not sure if this was from my collection or if I dled it from Konstant Kontact. Either way, enjoy. Some treats. And I used divshare so you can stream it as well as save it.

Stretch & Bobbito 10/28/93

6 comments:

buckemdown said...

You just really brought me back. Like you said, 2 super duper large Linden's and 2 chocolate milks was the lunch move from '90-'94. Shit, I had to use the other $3 from my $5 lunch allowance to buy a 20-pack of Marlboro red's. I was a real dirtbag back then. Unfortunately, my metabolism didn't work to my advantage, which is why I was a chubby nukkah. I've only seen the 3-packs in the last 15 years though, so I'm quite excited at the prospect of tasting the soft joints again. Yo Howfresh, pick me up a box - you know I don't stay in the hood no more.

Unknown said...

Damn Jae, agreed, the butter crunch were dope. Too many lunches spent with these. How, I kinw you always pick up for Yankee games.

HowFresh said...

Fuck the butter crunch. I forgot to mention the chocolate fudge joints. #2 but no where near the chocochip.

They also have little joints - like the Famous Amos. Not bad.

Buck- I got some 2 packs in the crib. PK's, Liffy's and Linden's. Say when famo.

Unknown said...

nice title word play. I think the Lindens are slept on, but not in this circle. cookie monster in the house.

Jasmine said...

Thanks, I was trying to remember what cookies they sold at lunch at P.A. 139 annex and I say your post. Good looking out, I live in a country town in GA now but I just placed my order for cookies! You can take the girl out of Brooklyn...

www.tabletpc-shop.info said...

Little doubt, the dude is completely fair.