Monday, February 16, 2009

HowfreshEats Stacks (Potato) Chips Like Hebrews Vol. 4.- Almost at Chip Stardom.



Disclaimer: I am a potato chip expert. After tasting and testing 40 different types of chips over the past year, I have finally achieved the spud crown. This doesn't mean you will agree with my likes and dislikes, but feel confident in what I deem as worthy and trash. I am in the process of taking a chip out to Idaho in hopes of doing some of my own research and creating a chip that knocks them out the box.


Cape Cod- Sea Salt & Vinegar




For a vinegar chip these weren't too tangy. Sweet in fact. Nice sized chip with a decent crunch- very easy to eat. No monster Chernobyl joints. Cape Cod is the safe chip to eat. The PG chip. They don't get too crazy but they're above the boring line. Not feeling the maltodextrin and sodium diacetate. Whether or not these are harmful to the H, I prefer potato, salt, and oil. $3.49 for 8.5 oz.

Cape Cod Sea Salt & Cracked Pepper





Delicious and super addictive. Perfect blend of salt and pepper. Would prefer a crunchier chip, but we won't hold that against these. As said in the above review, Cape Cod makes a safe chip. The sweetness of the potato shines through too. Sweet, salt, spice- trifecta famo. Probably one of the easiest chips to knock off a bag in one sitting. Again, OD on the ingredients- corn syrup solids, torula yeast. Slow Down Cape Cod Cillas. $3.49 for 8.5 oz.

Archer Farms- Lightly Salted Traditional





Need to keep giving Target love. Where else can I cop chewable vitamins, batteries, wooden shelves, record frames, and 8 different flavors of potato chips? In general I dig the Archer Farms chips. Only gripes are that the chips are too big at times and there are too many folded chips. I prefer a clean chip approximately the size of an egg. I don't think that's asking too much. These are good. Enough salt- all you high blood pressure folks, don't compare this to a fatso drinking diet soda- so you still get the real deal flavor. Big crunch. And that self-sealing bag always wins. And the best part- ingredients include potato, sunflower oil and salt. 9 oz. bag for $2.50.

Olive Oil Potato Chips- Sea Salt





I saw these at the super market and gave it a shot. Never heard of before but Good Health Natural Foods has a healthy ring to it. Hippies don't lie. The use of olive oil on chips is different from what I'm used to, and I was a bit hesitant due to the strong flavor, but the oil didn't overpower the chip at all. Great crunch, great taste. Not too salty. Ingredients- potato, olive oil, and sea salt. 5 oz. bag for $3-$4.

Olive Oil Potato Chips- Sea Salt & Cracked Pepper





See review directly above. Great chip. Crunchy and flavorful. If you hate the pepper, stay away. These bring the heat, as is evident by the black dots all over the chip. Ingredients- potato, olive oil, cracked pepper and sea salt. 5 oz. bag for $3-$4.

"Dirty" Roasted Garlic & Herb





These taste like a crouton. A really seasoned crouton. And I wasn't eating a salad with them. This was a panic move because I rarely cop flavors like this. Too many had me feeling ill. I'm not such a fan of the Dirty chip, but these are some of the worst I ever had. Super OD on ingredients- evaporated cane juice, dehydrated bell pepper, tomato powder, onion powder and so on. 5.5 oz. bag for $2.09.

Grandma Utz's Handcooked Potato Chips





When I saw lard in the ingredients I had to go in. I figured with all the healthy shit I've been eating, I'm allowed to splurge. Not bad. SALTY. That pig gets it in. Reminds me of fried wontons from a cheap Chinese spot. Great Wall, U Like, #1, you choose. Crunchy but thin. Ingredients read- whole fresh potatoes, sliced and cooked in lard, with salt added. 4 oz. bag for $.99- on sale from $1.49.

Boulder Canyon Spinach & Artichoke





(Not included in group photo- late addition) Another atypical purchase on my part. I don't even like artichoke. Good thing for that is that I can't taste the artichoke. Can't taste the spinach either. Not sure what I taste, aside from salt. Boulder- I still love you. 5 oz. bag for $2.49.

There is an Archer Farms Traditional bag in the main photo but no individual shots. Think of the Lightly Salted review above, but saltier.

2 comments:

thekid10705 said...

All flavors of Cape Cod and Dirty chips are the BOMB!!! Dont' sleep on the Jalepeno' Cape cod joints either!!

discdolo said...

I am all for simple ingredients,oil potatoes and the third one so I am with it.. UTZ (FKA Bonton) just uses a gourmet wrapper and then kills you with lard. How come UTZ is readily available in the hood?? sup with that. I would like you to give Terra some love.. do they still make veggie booty ?? holla ..