Sunday, June 7, 2009

We Clamming! We Clamming! HowFresh Be Clamming!


The daily rigors of the bloggy blog became so overwhelming I needed to jet to the Pacific Northwest. Seattle, Victoria, Vancouver, Alaska- you know, the regular spots. While these other motherfuckers are out in Mia-yeyo or Vegas, I'm doing my James Cook navigating the seas- Puget Sound, the Strait of Juan De Fuca, etc. Just let's hope the locals don't treat me like they treated him.



This morning we took the ferry from Seattle to Bainbridge Island en route to Port Angeles along the coast. Amazing land and views. Opted for the coastal roads and came upon Dungeness, Washington. Figured it had something to do with the crabs. See some woman raking the shore. I inquired and life will never be the same. She was living off the land, digging up enough clams to feed the family for a couple of days. Man, I got so excited.



Found a huge oyster shell and went to work. Whenever you see a small hole or if you see water squirt out of the ground, pause, chances are some bivalve is hiding. Got my dig on and helped feed some kids. Steamers, butter clams, and some others. Couldn't take any with me and was told that eating them raw wasn't the move, but this made my day nonetheless. In NYC shellfish is a delicacy and priced accordingly, but out here you can hit the shoreline and eat for free. What a country,



These dudes were peeping the kid get his clam on. The wished they had hands like me. Sometimes talons just don't get it done.

I might not post for a couple of days because I'll be eating wild Alaskan salmon and Puget sound shellfish. But bear with me, I'll be back on EST in a couple of days.

3 comments:

P-Matik said...

Word?

buckemdown said...

What'd I tell you about digging dirty clams?

Unknown said...

Looks dope.

Time for you to get in the river and catch some salmon swimming upstream.